Much has been written regarding the benefits of strength training. It is known that resistance training, when performed correctly, has many positive benefits such as:
- Increases the strength of bones, muscles and connective tissue
- Lowers the risk of injury
- Increases metabolic rate to assist with maintaining a healthy weight
- Reduces the risk of falls
- Improves mental health.
A study published in the Journal Sports Medicine in 2017 concluded that resistance training “Significantly improves anxiety symptoms among both healthy participants and participants with a physical or mental illness”. The American Heart Association recommends strength training at least twice per week.
Many people desire to engage in strength training, however current aches and pains have eliminated this possibility. Timed Static Contraction training might be a solution to your dilemma. TSC training involves performing isometric contractions for a duration of 60-90 seconds continuously in targeted muscles. The duration of hold is conducted in 3 levels of intensity… 50%, 75%, 100% (without pain). The force of contraction is slowly built up over time to allow for proper breathing technique and good posturing to prevent possible injury. All forces involved in TSC are performed below the threshold of pain but performed in a way that leads to improved strength. This isometric contraction is typically performed in mid-range position but can be performed in any pain-free position. When performed correctly, Timed Static Contraction can be beneficial in many ways, including but not limited to the following:
- more efficient and safe recruitment of muscle fibers leading to increase in muscle strengthening
- Ability to strengthen targeted musculature without producing movements in painful joints
- Ability to produce sufficient muscle forces to maintain and improve bone density
- Reduce the risk of injury through the gradual building up of muscle forces overtime
The goal of TSC is to perform strength training in a safe manner that minimizes pain and injury and obtains the positive benefits of exercises.
If pain or an injury are preventing you from being as active as you would like, the therapists at Motion Physical Therapy can get you on the road to recovery. The clinic offers a variety of therapies and techniques including Timed Static Contraction training, that can assist you in achieving the benefits of strength training. Motion Physical Therapy is conveniently located in The Woodlands near I-45 and Sawdust Rd. Call us at 281-881-7099 to schedule your appointment today.